Man City vs Man Utd: 2-1

Goals from David Silva and Nicolas Otamendi either side of half-time earned City a priceless 2-1 victory at Old Trafford in a full-blooded, enthralling Manchester derby.

Manchester City moved 11 points clear of Manchester United as Pep Guardiola’s charges registered a 2-1 win at Old Trafford on Sunday evening.

Pep Guardiola’s charges were dominant in the first 15 minutes as they completely dominated possession and were camped in the United half.

Raheem Sterling had a glorious chance to send the Citizens ahead in the 15th minute after being sent through on goal by Fernandinho but David de Gea produced a fine save to keep the score level.

It was one-way traffic after half-an-hour with the visitors dominating possession but they could not create clear-cut chances.

Three minutes before the break, David Silva found the breakthrough with a close range finish after United failed to deal with a corner, 0-1.

Jose Mourinho’s hit back immediately as Marcus Rashford equalised for the hosts in the first half stoppage time as Fabian Delph’s error allowed Marcus Rashford to sneak in and score from 12-yards out, 1-1.

Both sides were forced into a change at the beginning of the second half as IIkay Gundogan replaced Vincent Kompany while Victor Lindelof came on for Marcos Rojo.

Nicolas Otamendi restored the lead for City in the 54th minute with a close range finish after a poor attempt at a clearance from Romelu Lukaku.

Guardiola brought in defender Eliaquim Mangala three minutes before the hour in place of striker Jesus.

Rashford had a chance to restore parity in the 70th minute through a free-kick on the edge of the box, but his curling strike sailed over the bar.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic came on in the 76th minute and replaced Jesse Lingard as United were desperate for the equaliser.

Romelu Lukaku missed a glorious opportunity five minutes before time as he failed to beat Ederson from six-yards out, before Juan Mata was denied the shot-stopper seconds later.

Guardiola’s troops ran down the clock by going to corner flag, and they held on to claim three points.